Important information for our Estate Management clients
Notify a neighbour if you are going away and provide them with emergency contact details, so that in the event of a problem arising, your neighbour knows what to do and who to contact. If you are going to be away for any period of time you should ask someone to check in on your property and if you are going to be away for more than 30 days, you need to inform Acorn otherwise the block insurance could be invalidated should an incident arise.
• If away from home, keep your heating on a low setting to prevent water from freezing in the pipes.
• Know where your stopcock is and how to turn off your water (often found under the kitchen sink).
• Check that lagging is in place for exposed pipes.
• Check the insulating jackets around water tanks If you have a loft, open the hatch to allow warm air to circulate.
• Repair minor leaks immediately. Know how to turn off your electricity supply at the mains.
• Report any visible building defect to Acorn (i.e. blocked gutters, leaking overflow pipes, trip hazards etc).
• Check your home contents insurance policy and find out what cover you have for risks such as flood, storm damage or escape of water.
• Use candles carefully.
• Take care when cooking.
• Make sure cigarettes are extinguished.
• Don’t overload sockets.
• Test your smoke alarms regularly.
• Make a bedtime check.
• Familiarise yourself with the fire evacuation plan for your building.
• Contact the flat you believe the leak is coming from.
• If your neighbour is out, try to turn off their water supply from the stopcock in the communal hallway or service cupboard.
• If the leak is serious and your neighbour is out, contact the fire brigade or environmental services and Acorn.
• Report any leaks you see in the communal parts to Acorn.
ACORN ESTATE MANAGEMENT CHRISTMAS OPENING TIMES:
Our offices close at 5.30pm on Thursday 23rd December 2021 and re-open at 10.00am on Tuesday 4th January 2022. In the event of an emergency when our offices are closed, please contact us by calling 020 8315 6980 and your call will be diverted to our out of hours’ service (this service is strictly reserved for emergencies only).
We would like to offer our seasonal good wishes over the festive period.